Have you suffered a burn, rash or other skin condition as a result of coming in contact with hazardous fluids or chemicals during your employment? Do you suffer from a neurological condition as a result of breathing in and being exposed to dangerous fluids or chemicals during your work?
If so, you may be entitled to compensation.
Weekly payments for time off work; and medical and like expenses
If you have suffered from any of the above injuries, it is important to lodge a WorkCover claim as soon as possible. If your claim is accepted, you are entitled to:
- Weekly payments of compensation for any time off work you are required to take because you are considered'unfit for work' by your treating professional (i.e. general practitioner or specialist).
- Medical and like expenses for any treatment that you require because of your work-related condition/injury. This includes the payment of consultations with your doctor and specialists, treatment (i.e. plastic surgery) and medication (i.e. oral and topical medication).
A lump sum payment
If you have suffered from a permanent impairment, depending on the nature and severity of your injury/condition, you may also be entitled to a lump sum amount as an additional form of compensation.
Permanent impairments would include, scarring, permanent skin conditions and permanent neurological conditions.
If you can demonstrate that your injury occurred as a result of the negligence of your employer, you may also be entitled to two types of damages:
- Pain and suffering damages and;
- Damages for your loss of earnings
Some examples of negligence include:
- Your employer did not provide protective clothing for you to wear (i.e. gloves, appropriate footwear, long sleeves, heat or chemical resistant clothing)
- Your employer did not provide appropriate splatter guards
- Your employer did not provide proper warnings and/or training
If you would like further advice regarding an injury caused by working with hazardous liquids and chemicals, please give our free Adviceline a call on (03) 9321 9988 for further advice.